Monday, April 15, 2013

50's-Inspired Crop Tops



50's crop top

One of my favourite fashion eras is the 50's - the confident and flirty, yet somewhat conservative clothes, the full poodle skirts and the bright red lipstick has always been something that I love.  Though I don't wear clothes inspired by this time period often, or at all to be honest, I've always loved designing dresses and clothes inspired by it.  Today, I decided to show you some of them.

50's crop top sketches

The photo isn't the best quality, but I think it shows enough.  I didn't really take inspiration from the colours, more so the silhouette of the clothes back then.  Lately, I've been seeing a lot of the mid-riff baring crop tops, and I'm a big fan of the trend, especially the ones that are super edgy, like the Alexander McQueen leather bralette top.

I'm just going to quickly... "explain" my designs, I guess.  Like what fabric it would be, other ways to style it, etc.

The first ensemble was just something sweet and girly.  The top would probably be made of the "regular" canvas-like material that I've seen a lot lately.  The skirt would just be a really poofy and full skirt in a creamy ivory colour and perhaps made out of tulle?  There are many options for the skirt, in my opinion. 

The one in the middle was supposed to be something edgier, but still classy.  The top would simply be made out of leather, inspired by the Alexander McQueen one (no surprise there).  For the pants, what I had in mind while drawing them was an emerald, so I would pick a really satiny but strong fabric that would turn a different colour in different light.  I think that that would just be so pretty.  Plus, the lining on the pants would just be a simple striped white and navy blue silk.  This look would be really cool for a party, I think, maybe with a white-hot blazer over top?

Finally, the one of the right.  For this one, I just wanted it to be white.  White, white, white.  To add a bit of something to the outfit, I decided to draw a jacket that didn't close, kind of like what Elle Fanning wore to the Ginger and Rosa premiere, but not really.  I'm really curious to see what it would look like with a varsity jacket on instead, though...  The fabrics that I would use would just be similar, if not the same, just in a different colour, to the ones I used in the other two.

Something really cool that I'd really like to see more often are patterned crop tops.  I've seen a lot of polka and chevron print ones, but I'm really curious to see what other prints people would think to make this crop top out of.

Down below are some of my favourite crop tops if you guys wanted to get one... (Nasty Gal and Urban Outfitters have some really cute ones, as well as Forever 21 if you're looking for more affordable options)

Nasty Gal Laced Bow Crop Top - Black
Urban Outfitters Lush Eyelet Bustier Top - Ivory
MINKPINK In the Glass Bustier Top - Floral
Urban Outfitters Studded Bustier Bra Top
Forever 21 Retro Flower Crop Top - Black and White
Forever 21 Lace Embroidered Bustier - Orange (they say it's Lobster Bisque, but seriously, it's just orange, guys)


I hope you guys enjoyed this post!  Let me know down in the comments what you think of them and thanks for reading!  I really appreciate it!
- J

Image Credit: www.weheartit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment