Saturday, October 5, 2013

tbh, How Honest Are You?

LIE | via Facebook


Hi there! At first, I wasn’t so sure if I wanted to write this post because I was worried that it’d be too rambly and pointless, but I believe that one should do one thing that scares him or her every day. This is that one thing.

I was never one of those tween girls who faked their age to get a Facebook. I waited patiently until I was thirteen, nearly fourteen, actually, before getting an account. It was never something that I felt I needed, but I got it anyway because a) I wanted to stay connected with my old friends, and b) a Facebook page would be useful for my blog.

I’ve heard of a lot of stories of cyberbullying and just lots of fake things online, but that Facebook was just the worst. Not many people were getting bullied on Twitter (I had an account since I was 10) or Tumblr or whatever. At least not as much. Facebook was like the most popular social media site, but it didn’t live up to its name. At least the positive one.

To be honest, I wasn’t exactly sure what I was getting myself into. I certainly didn’t know what it was until I actually made the account and a few months passed. At the beginning, all I was thinking was, “Thank the heavens, I’m not addicted to Facebook,” because I was really, really worried about that. Then, more recently, I noticed stuff like, “lms for a tbh” as statuses and “you’re a beaut” in comments and the person would reply with something like, “no, that’s you.” You might be thinking, “That’s news to you?!” I assure you, it really isn’t, but it was my last straw, I guess you could say.

Twitter / @iPlaceEpic: Haha, true. #iPE - http:// ...

To quote a wonderful, wonderful Lorde song, “the internet raised us.” Well, let me give you my two cents on the internet.

The internet opens you to fake people, fake voices, fake everything. I mean, where else are you going to find these kinds of things besides in stereotypical high school hallways? Don’t get me wrong, I love the internet. I love the resourceful, inspirational, and blogging side of things, but it’s things like reading those statuses and those comments that make me wonder what kind of world we’re living in.

Honesty has gone out the door and when we have a fight with someone, we’ll get more from their cryptic Facebook status or their latest Tumblr than from the person themselves. I would know because I nearly single-handedly ended a friendship with one of my best friends last year because of a stupid little post.

Why do we post things like that? What are the odds that you’re actually being honest when you’re doing one of those stupid tbh’s? Slim to none. What’s the point of telling each other that we’re “gorgeous”? Because it has become the norm and a courtesy to do so. Now, why is that? I don’t know about you, but it’s freaking irritating, but a cautionary tale, you could say.

Do you have any arguments or thoughts to bring to the table? Well, please do in a comment below! Ooh, and tell me if you want to see more… controversial, I guess, posts like these, as well!



Thanks for reading!
- J

No comments:

Post a Comment