Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunday Funday: River Deep, Mountain High

*-*


Hi there! This week has been a crazy one. An emotional one. An awesome one. It's like everything is changing and I'm starting to shed off this skin that used to be the "old me." I've never gone through the process knowing that I was going through it all. November's going to be something different, for sure. But first, why don't I tell you about my week, eh?



Molly Quinn favourited my tweet. What.



After watching last week's episode of Castle entitled "Get a Clue," Alexis, Castle's daughter, left things on a rather sour note by slamming the door in poor Castle's face. i went on YouTube, hungry for next week's episode, found the promo, and pretty much freaked out. Alexis was going to have a huge part in next week's episode, so I was super duper stoked about that because she's one of my favourite characters. Then, naturally, I tweeted about it and Molly Quinn, the actress who plays Alexis FAVOURITED MY TWEET. My day was pretty much made from that point on.



After three and a half years...


(a crappy Instagram shot, but whatever)

...I got my braces off! It's been a long and crazy journey that isn't quite over yet, but I'm still super happy about it. I got my braces off on Hallowe'en and just felt so liberated and like a different person, almost. Unfortunately, my retainer absolutely sucks - it gets snagged on my tongue all the time and it's nearly impossible to talk, but I only have to wear it all day for around six months. If I could survive three and a half years, I can survive six months.

Thirteen Reasons Why, a book everyone has to read.

Thirteen Reasons Why book


This week, I finished this book called Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher and I can say that it really did change my life. Here's the synopsis from the website:

Clay returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

unhappyface It's a pretty dark story, but one definitely worth reading. As I was reading it, it felt as if I was walking around their little town, listening to Hannah's voice, and experiencing the roller coaster of emotions that Clay felt. After I finished it, it truly changed the way I saw the world and made me really want to become a better person.

In Hannah's words...

“You don’t know what goes on in anyone’s life but your own. And when you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re not messing with just that part. Unfortunately, you can’t be that precise and selective. When you mess with one part of a person’s life, you’re messing with their entire life. Everything. . . affects everything.”

The smallest thing could bring joy to someone's day and the smallest thing could send them to their all-time low. That was one of the many, many things I learned from this book.

Songs are my memories.



I listen to music a lot, but lately, I haven't been as much as I used to. Even though I'm really enjoying my high school experience so far, I can't help but miss the simplicity of eighth grade and everything about that year. The people, the school, the neighbourhood...

The other day, I was on Facebook and I saw a post of my friend's. It was a link to this song (leekspin.com) and brought back this whirlwind of emotions and memories and I couldn't help but miss middle school all over again. Most of time, I listen to songs because I'm just obsessed with them, but now, songs have much more depth to me now. Songs allow me to relive some of my favourite moments and some of my not-so favourite ones and it's been pretty great, I guess.

How has your week been? Do you watch Castle? If not, you totally should, I even got my dad addicted to it, haha. Did you ever have to wear braces? If so, how the eff did you survive the retainers stage of it?! Have you read Thirteen Reasons Why? Any thoughts on the novel? Leave your comments below!


Thank you so much for reading!
- J


6 comments:

  1. I've considered reading "Thirteen reasons why", but I don't know why haven't I already started reading it. The plot has seemed engaging from the first moment I read what the book was about. I'll definitely start reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you will! Let me know what you think once you're done!

      - Juliana

      Delete
  2. I started reading 13 Reasons Why a couple of years ago but didn't finish because I was afraid I was going to be sad at the end. I might finish it one day, though. Also, I've nominated you for a liebster blog award here: http://frompaulwithlove.wordpress.com/2013/11/03/liebster-blog-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nomination! And you should definitely finish the book. The ending isn't as sad as I thought it'd be and it gave me closure as opposed to some books that just leave you contemplating different possible endings and what not.

      - Juliana

      Delete
  3. I've already wanted to read the book, now you give me another reason to get the book! :D

    ReplyDelete