Tuesday, January 14, 2014

H&M: What's Up With Your Sizes?

The city of lights.
Image Credit
Hi there! Though I’ve featured many H&M items in outfit collages before, but I’ve never actually owned an item until this fall. H&M was always too far away for me to bother going (think two hours + too much tax), but I’ve always loved their designs, so you can imagine how happy I was when it was announced that the store would be opening at my local mall.

Because the prices are pretty reasonable for what it is, I wasn’t that disappointed with the quality because, like my mom always says, “What you pay is what you get.” I swear, it’s like her little life motto or something.

Aside from the quality, something that really bugged me happened in the change room. I’m pretty petite, so I’ve always reached for the extra-smalls or the smalls at most unless I want something to be super baggy or whatever. When I was shopping at H&M, I figured it’d be the same thing because I had no reason to think otherwise. Oh, boy was I wrong.

My legs couldn’t even fit in the size 2 pants that I thought would be big on me because I’m usually a 00 or 0. It was ridiculous! I thought it was just one design, so I tried on the next pair. Same. Freaking. Thing. Then, I thought that maybe, it was just the pants, but the same thing happened to the jackets and tops I tried on. I had to go up like four to six sizes to find something that fit me properly. It was just insane.

I have never been to a store where there were such big differences between its sizes and another stores. But why is that? Why is it that H&M’s sizes are minuscule compared to its competitors?

H&M’s target audience consists mostly of teenage girls and young adults (give or take) and that group is already so vulnerable and their self-esteem is generally already lacking, so this is really quite the blow to one’s self-esteem. If you’re already struggling with your size or aren’t very happy with it, the harsh change room lights and the bigger size number doesn’t exactly help. Why H&M does this, I don’t even know. They’re supposed to appeal to average people and accommodate everyone, not super skinny girls either blessed (depending on how you see it) with a fast metabolism or models.

Don’t get me wrong, I love H&M’s clothes, but the sizes bother me nonetheless. Unless they decide to change it, of course and make everyone feel a bit better about themselves.

Have you had the same problem with H&M? Why do you think their sizes are so small? Any complaints/comments/suggestions? Share your stories below!



Thanks for reading!
- J


10 comments:

  1. I think I've heard that they use european sizing for their pants which are not equivilant to the pant sizes we are used to in north america.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm... that's a possibility... - J

      Delete
    2. maybe that's it because i find the sizing on Zara clothes very different compared to north american brands (like club monaco for example). H&M clothes do fit quite small and i find a lot of them are cut for people are a bit on the shorter side.

      Delete
    3. Even though they are foreign brands, they have made their way into an international market, so they really should try to do a good job of ensuring that their sizes are equivalent to those of whatever country they are selling in. - J

      Delete
  2. Actually, there's no size 2 in EU/UK sizes so that's definitely US. But I get what you're trying to say here some people take sizes very seriously and H&M's clothes, which seem to run very small might hurt their self-esteem or worse. I'm in the same boat with you. Usually I go for small/extra small but at H&M Pants have to be at least size 4 and tops size 6. It's not that bad, but for someone size 8 or 10 who may have to go up to 12, they might feel very had. :( Maybe their sizing is really off because they're just slapping on the US equivalent number despite the measurements being different for the actual sizes. :(

    Christine from Invisible Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It personally doesn't bother me very much, but it's still not very... considerate, let's say of H&M. It's a shame because their clothes are awesome... Glad to know someone understands what I'm trying to say. :) - Juliana

      Delete
  3. I'm a pretty big girl and I actually use smaller sizes in H&M compared to other stores. Maybe as Christine said, it's has something to do with not being translated to the proper size. I'm from Denmark, so I don't know though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hope they're not doing it intentionally and it's all just a careless size translation issue. - Juliana

      Delete
  4. Hello, the same goes for UK. All other shops show e.g. Euro size 38 to equate to size 10 UK. Only in H&M it is UK size 12....i don't get their logic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true!! I know they list the European size, but also a US equivalent. None of it makes sense. I'm a size 4, maybe 6, in pants. This is usually a 27/28 European. When I try these sizes on at H&M, they don't get past my thighs. I need to start at a size 10 to make anything happen. Something is definitely wrong, and it makes shopping there very annoying.

    ReplyDelete