Friday, July 17, 2015

Style Diary: Wandering Around in New York City


Hi there! If you've read any of my posts since I started you know, actually posting on here again, you probably know that I was in New York recently where I did a little photoshoot for a workshop I took. Only a few of the photos that were taken of me made it into the mock magazine that we made for class, so I figured I'd share with you the full outfit properly. 

I got that black top from Urban Outfitters ages ago (we're talking two Spring Breaks ago) and I'm so happy that I've finally put it to use. It's quite a sequin-y piece, and in turn, a bit more on the dressy side, something that I hadn't considered when I purchased it on a whim at a sale, so I wasn't able to wear it for quite a while. Hopefully, I'll be wearing more of this bad boy in the future because I'm kind of obsessed with it.



Top: Urban Outfitters | Shorts: Gap | Shoes: Soda | Flannel: Free People | Sunglasses: Dynamite | Ring: Michael Kors | Bracelet: Kate Spade | Nails: Essie "Penny Talk"

I don't think I've ever worn anything that crazy edgy before, but maybe my parents might disagree, haha. I've definitely worn some things that have earned me a few looks (whether they were positive or negative aren't important to me), but not really anything in that whole edgy Soho girl kind of vibe. I've played with those vibes before but it was really fun for me to go a bit deeper down that route and whip my long wavy hair around for a little bit. 


The others' outfits were a bit more casual than mine for the shoot because they had access to their closets at home while I didn't, so I toned down the night-appropriate top with some denim shorts. One of the girls is completely in love with Free People, so she lent me this flannel that I've got hanging off of my shoulder. I finished the outfit off with some silver jewellery and my favourite pair of shoes at the moment which are my black platforms. Sad thing is, I was in a hurry the other day to put them on and somehow snapped the buckle off along with a bit of strap, so I have to figure out a way to fix that soon because I've missed those babies a lot.


Something that was a bit different about this shoot was that someone was going around taking photos of me for a solid 20 minutes. Usually, I either set a self-timer and awkwardly take photos of myself while trying to ignore inquisitive stares from my lovely neighbours. Or my brother stands outside for about five minutes at most trying to get good shots of me before rushing inside. It was just nice to get the attention, I guess. Photoshoots are often awkward for me, but when your backdrop is New York, it makes it so freaking fun.

Another thing that I want to discuss is this Essie polish that I've got on my nails. I have a pretty intense love-hate relationship with it. On one hand, it's a beautiful colour, all metallic-y and rose gold and gorgeous, plus it dries super quickly, On the other hand, it chips like nothing else. The colour also does this weird thing where I don't actually see evidence of it rubbing off on another surface, but it looks like colour has been rubbed off, you know? Anyway, point is, if you want to wear this polish, make sure to use at 2-3 coats and make sure that your top coat is pretty darn solid if you want your nails to last more than three days.

Have you been to New York before? How would you describe your style? What other styles do you like to experiment with sometimes? Leave your comments and share your thoughts below!


Thank you so much for reading!
- J


No comments:

Post a Comment