Sunday, September 13, 2015

Sunday Funday: September 13, 2015

 

Hi there! It's been one full week at school and I'm already loving it. Okay, no. I still wish that I had an extra month (or two) of summer, but it feels nice to be back in the swing of things. It's just been a great few days so far and I'm already getting excited about so many things.
 
There's club fair which will probably happen in a few weeks if it follows the pattern from the past two years. I'll hopefully be able to get more people to be a part of it and I'm really excited about that. There's also how I've made myself nice schedules for everything like for when I'm working/when I'm working out (which are harmonious), SAT prep, and the magazine. Here's the fall issue if you haven't checked it out yet.
new tunes
 
Image Credit: Troye Sivan

Troye Sivan's EP WILD is basically all that I've been listening to lately. It's definitely a step up from TRXYE and I'm just so obsessed with it. I'll admit, when it first came out, I was a bit annoyed that it only had six songs because he'd used the word "album" a decent bit to describe it. When I think of albums, I assume that there will at least be 10 songs. However, WILD has six really good songs and I love them all. My personal favourites are "EASE" because BROODS, hell-O (plus, I feel like I'll be able to relate to it a lot post-high school) and "FOOLS" which is so fricking good and it's pretty relatable, too. I mean, we all have that one person that we fell for despite all the warning signs, right?
 
"WILD" also deserves a special shout-out because the video warmed my heart and it was just so adorable. Check it out guys.
 

 
As far as music goes, an honourable mention goes to Alessia Cara who I just found out today is actually from the same province as me and whose music is stellar. Her EP Four Pink Walls is pretty great as well and I love, love, love "Seventeen" and "Here." So. Good.
 

 

link crew
 
If you don't know what Link Crew is, it's basically a program where senior (Gr. 11-12) students help out the freshmen. We had some kind of activity planned everyday of the first week of school to help the kids get adjusted to high school and it was actually pretty fun.
 
The first day, we just wrote cute notes on their lockers. A lot of people actually didn't think to do that, but little me decided to bake them oatmeal raisin cookies the night before. I also attached a printed sheet of paper with Phoebe Buffay's cookie quote (you know the one) on it. The whole thing was because of my Friends obsession, I'm not gonna lie.
 
The second day, we played beach volleyball in the gym with our groups which was pretty fun. The next day, we had a scavenger hunt that was totally manic but awesome. On the last day of the week, they made us all get up in front of the kids in the cafeteria and do weird things with food for Battle of the Link Leaders. There were three challenges and we had to alternate between the two of us. My partner had to somehow get an Oreo from his forehead to his mouth without using anything besides the muscles on his face. Then, he had to stand behind me and feed me a whole half-melted (and gross) ice cream sandwich while I was sitting down in front of him. Gosh, that one was so messy and gross.
 
Finally, the last one was the Chubby Bunny challenge, and let me tell you, that shit is 100% more funny and cool when you see it on YouTube. It's just gross in real life.
 
relieved stress
 
I learned a few things this week. One: I have high as heck ambitions (I actually wasn't aware that they were that high, I promise). Two: I can't have everything.
 
I've seen the "you can do anything, but not everything" quote pop up in my Insta feed, on Pinterest, and a little everywhere the past few weeks. I'd look at it and ponder the thought for a little bit, and then I'd just move on with my day. It never occurred to me that maybe I should assess my own wants to see if it's affecting my health.
 
One day, I decided to do just that and I feel like I can breathe a lot easier now. I pushed my SAT test date back a month so I get more time to study and get a score that I'm a lot more proud of. I focused on sleeping on Saturday night/Sunday morning to balance out the 7-hour nights I'd been getting (I got 10 hours of sleep last night, guys. TEN.). There were other things that I did to make sure that I'd be able to stay sane with my work schedule and everything else that I have to do. With school, I need sleep more than ever.
 
What have you been up to this week? Are you a Troye or Alessia fan? What do you like to do to relieve stress? Leave a comment down below!
 
 

Thank you so much for reading!
- J


1 comment:

  1. Gosh, why do Canadian schools sound so much more fun than schools here? :P
    I can't watch the videos now because I'm on my phone, but I'll watch them as soon as I get to use a desktop. I've heard a bit about Troye, but not much, so I'll give him a try. As for Alessia, I've never heard of her, but I always welcome new music! :) Recently I'm really into Arctic Monkeys and Of Monsters And Men, do you listen to any of their music?
    Anyway, hope everything with school goes well. (I read your latest Style Diary, and I think the dress is gorgeous :) I love the patterns!)
    I might not be able to leave as much comments as I used to though, as my exam is approaching too....

    ReplyDelete